M O N T E S P E R T O L I
The Municipality of Montespertoli, which covers an 'area equal to 125.02 square km., is located on some features that are part of central Tuscany hills of Chianti. The capital sits 257 meters above sea level, 25 km from Florence and is placed equidistant from the tourist center of San Gimignano, Siena, Pisa and Volterra. The landscape is varied and is presented as a complex morphologically uniform hilly, with fertile land in terms of physical and nutritional, since the typical hills of the Val di Pesa, consisting of marine sediments, are considered among the best soils. On the whole we can speak of a 'landscape units, a typical Chianti landscape is given its relatively modest altitude (up to a maximum of 442 meters above sea level at Lucardo) and with the spread and the presence of' olive trees and vines. The climate of the country, though exposed to all winds, is mild. The continuous ventilation keeps the 'pure air and healthy.
Montespertoli, with its vineyards, cellars and the Chianti Show, is one of the Tuscan wine capitals. Historically the wine, together with the 'oil and bread, is one of the most famous and characteristic of the whole territory. The municipality has an 'efficient road network and a number of eateries located in all fractions with typical Tuscan cuisine, a Tourist Information Office (headquarters of the Pro-Loco), a major tourist and sports in Molino del Ponte, with soccer field, tennis courts, soccer fields, clay pigeon shooting, sports stadium, swimming pool, hotel and restaurant. The layout of the area allows the 'organization of cultural itineraries which cover several days' stay. Of particular interest is the Museum of Sacred Art in the Church of San Piero in Mercato and the Art Gallery A. Low in Piazza Machiavelli.
of the area 'the Municipality of Montespertoli today had in the past, probably already in the Etruscan period, an important role for its road structure that allowed Florence to carry out its businesses towards Volterra and Siena by Via Volterra which crossed from north to south almost the territory of Montespertoli and connected to the via Francigena 'height of Certaldo. The settlements of the nobility were distributed far from the 'High Middle Ages this road so that you can outline: north near the Castle of Montegufoni there was destroyed in 1135 by Florence Ormanni. After the destruction of the castle Ormanni, many bought land in this locality Gugliarello Acciaioli from Brescia and 150 years later, in the same place, September 12, 1310, was born on the Grand Seneschal Niccolo Acciaioli. The Acciaioli donated to the Church of San Lorenzo in Montegufoni works of 'art of the highest quality on the' altar is the crucifix can be admired by Taddeo Gaddi. The family Acciaioli fell into disrepair in the early seventeenth century. and all its assets were purchased by the family Usibardi, but having settled this in 1663, a Acciaioli from another branch of this family, namely, Donato, managed to recover all assets and to begin a new period of wealth that lasted until the eighteenth century. The castle, which advises the town of Montespertoli, now owned by Sonnino, was originally the Lords of Montespertoli, a branch of the Counts Alberti Mangona, but in 1393, having settled their family, they left all their properties to Machiavelli. The properties of this extended family of nearly two-thirds of today 's city of Montespertoli and they owe a lot of donations of works of' art of most churches in the area. The town of Montespertoli, of medieval origin, had its first church to 'inside of the Castle of the Lords of Montespertoli and only at the beginning of the sixteenth century was built the Church of Sant' Andrea in 'Machiavelli's Square today, rebuilt after the destruction suffered in the second World War II. In the territory of Montespertoli the church of San Piero in Mercato is the village of Lucardo the oldest, to secure early medieval origin. Today the oldest traces of the church belong to the Romanesque period, but, rightly, we can assume the 'existence of a building prior to the Mille, the simple structure and destroyed during the resumption of construction' XI century. During the fourteenth century. was the seat of the Podestà and a league that was formed for the meeting of three parishes: San Piero in Mercato, San Pancrazio and Coeli-Hall. At the end of '400 's important that the market was held here was transferred to Montespertoli and with this also the site of the Podesta. Lucardo was the centerpiece of a comitatus of Lombard origin and location of an important castle, now reduced to a small village. In the nearby church of St Martin and St Just keeps the foundation date, 1093, and a nice table of Ghirlandaio Madonna and Child Enthroned and SS.Pietro, Martin, and John the Baptist's right. The small shrine of Santa Maria della Pace, the Convent of Botinaccio built in the sixteenth century, was enlarged in subsequent years to reach its current size, then transferred to the monks of the 'Observance of St. Francis, who remained in this place, guarded, until the 'French invasion took place in the first decade of the century. In the chapel are frescoes painted around 1600. The territory of Montespertoli is dotted with numerous examples of 'medieval architecture that is shown in the villages, churches and castles in the survivors of Botinaccio and stern, even now belonging to the family of Guicciardini..
The Museum of Sacred Art of Montespertoli is born from the agreement between the City and the Vicariate of Montespertoli Foraneo, with the collaboration of the Archbishopric of Florence, Tuscany Region, the Province of Florence, the Superintendence of Environmental and Architectural Heritage, the Heritage Superintendence Art and History and the Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze. The Museum is the beautiful and spacious rectory of the parish church of San Piero in Mercato, now enriched with precious paintings, silver and wallpaper that well testify 'historical importance and artistic vitality of the result of Montespertoli. 'S exhibition of the items the group has as its criterion of the works of the same church and then the churches of the same parish. In the exhibition are arranged the paintings and silverware from the parish of San Piero in Mercato. They belong to the mother church of a panel of glass in Blacks home in San Michele a wife and a strong sixteenth century painting depicting the Madonna and Child with Saints Peter and Paul, as well as a refined Robbiana with St. Jerome in the Desert. A large number of paintings from the church of Santa Maria a shelf, San Giusto, San Giorgio and San Lorenzo Montalbino: Triptych dated 1400 of Work of Francis, the small Madonna by Andrea di Giusto, eclectic painter of the first half of the fifteenth century influenced by Masaccio and Fra Angelico and the two tables still remaining in the 'anonymity, and the Sienese school of the Florentine school, such as San Lorenzo and the mysterious fourteenth century Madonna and Child with Saints George and Nicholas of Bari, in the sixteenth century. From the church of San Lorenzo in Montegufoni, near the castle of Acciaioli and under the patronage of this family, comes the precious panel depicting the Madonna and Child, attributed to the circle of Filippo di Benivieni, and a rare gemellion (pair of plates used to the washing of hands) 's Limousin art of the thirteenth century, testimony to the spread of French influence related to the viability of the Elsa Valley. The second room devoted entirely to the churches of Santa Maria in Torre and St. Bartholomew in the same parish Tresanti presents later works: some paintings of the XVII century (paintings Frilli Crosses of Lupicinus, the workshop of Curradi etc..) And eighteenth century (Adoration of the Magi Children of Nicholas). In the third room displays works from the crumbling church of Ara Coeli House and the parishes of St. Pancras. The 'most precious work is the small Madonna and Child attributed to the late work of Filippo Lippi. 'S image, inserted in a Renaissance niche, is covered with a subtle melancholy by the artist. It comes from the same church of Sant 'Andrea in Botinaccio, although originally it was in San Michele in Quarantola, the triptych attributed to the school of Lorenzo Bicci. A 'ancient marble baptismal font, from Santo Stefano in Lucignano, silverware and other seventeenth-century paintings of the respective churches complete the' furniture of this room. At the end of the museum has created a section on the wallpaper and the paper material, created especially by the need to preserve these works, particularly delicate and sensitive to light and 'moisture. In a dimly lit, but extremely suggestive are exposed precious vestments, altar frontals, sash beside Missals, antiphonaries, bubbles: more valuable insights for the study of this area.
October 1 to March 29: Saturday 15:30 to 18:30 Holidays 10:30 to 12:30 15:30 to 18:30 and 30 March to 30 September: 16:30 to 19:30 Saturday and holidays 10.30-12.30 and Closed on Christmas, Easter, May 1, August 15
Montespertoli and its wines
The area of Montespertoli, given the climate, the 'exposure and the soil is suited to the cultivation of the vine has a surface area of about 1,600 of which 1,400 has grown to DOCG. Certificates of good wine area can be found in texts of foreign journalists as the book "Wine" by Burt Anderson and "Grosse Wein Italiens" Jeans Priewe. The annual production of 'grape turns out to be ql. And around 190,000 hectoliters of wine production. 140,110 of which 91,152 DOCG.
The consortium, operating in our municipality is a consortium of Chianti. From the historical and wine production, together with the 'extra virgin olive oil mill, is the' most famous and characteristic element of the whole territory. The production of Chianti is the first objective of our producers, obtained with the traditional practice of "government to 'use Tuscan" and the "government" gives the wine more freshness, vivacity and roundness of drink. With appropriate selection of grapes produces a Chianti is intended for 'aging, suited to become RESERVE, required by more demanding consumers, and especially from the foreign market. Our white wines, Trebbiano and Malvasia grapes controlled fermentation, have been getting better and better for the fact that in recent years vineyards have been planted with varieties such as Pinot Blanc considered noble, Chardonnay and Riesling.
All the above also applies for Vin Santo. In the tradition countrified, this wine has an important place: it is the drink of the big parties. The 'origin of the name is a mystery: it is believed that may arise from' used to celebrate the Mass, others think it is from the 'habit of pressing the' grapes very late, after the Saints. With its amber color, intense ethereal, velvety, harmonious, with a slight sweet vain, Vin Santo can be combined with many sweet specialties. Other agricultural products important is the new wine, prized for its fresh, fruity fragrance and its taste soft and fragrant. For the producers of the City 's most important task is the replanting of new vineyards. It will be very important to replace the old varieties with more traditional, but obtained from clones in order to achieve a more prestigious level of quality, especially now that the sub has been recognized as "Chianti Montespertoli".